SINGAPORE NUTRITION & DIETETICS ASSOCIATION
President, Singapore Nutrition & Dietetics Association
c/o Nutrition & Dietetics Department
Khoo Teck Puat Hospital
90 Yishun Central
Number of members:Total Full Members 136 (of which, Nutritionists 44, Dietitians 91)
President : Ms. Annie Chow Pek Yee
Vice President : Ms. Pauline Chan Man
Honorary Secretary : Ms Loh Win Nie
Honorary Treasurer : Mr Derrick Ong (2013-2014)
Ms Liew Mei Pheng (2014 – 2015)
Committee Members :
Ms Kalpana Bhaskaran
Mr Nelson Chin
Ms Leow Sooi Mee
Ms Christine Rubi-Cruz
Mr George Toh
Ms Alefia Vasanwala
Ms Celeste Viviera
Ms Stephanie Wakefield
Ms Gladys Wong Hooi Chuan
Ms Pamela Wong
- STRATEGIC PLAN AND VISION FOR SNDA 2012 – 2014Vision
To be the leaders in nutrition and dietetics in bringing health to public
1) To empower members to provide accurate information on food and nutrition in health and disease
2) To translate best practices from nutrition and dietetics professionals to members
3) To establish nutritionist and dietitians to be the point of reference as experts
4) To educate and promote nutritional health to the public
1) To protect the interests of nutritionists and dietitians professionals in Singapore.
2) To spread knowledge and further understanding of nutrition and dietetics to members through facilitating the improvement and updating the practice and theoretical knowledge of nutritionists and dietitians to provide quality nutrition and dietetics practice and education.
3) To provide professional advice on matters of nutrition and dietetics to the public.
4) To establish strategic partnership to enable closer cooperation between dietitians, nutritionists and other stakeholders
To achieve the vision and mission above, the Strategic Plan for SNDA was carried out by various Subcommittees with identified tasks.
- CONTINUAL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENTA total of 23 CE activities including talks, a series of expert’s visit, seminars and conferences were proposed by the Continuing Education Subcommittee and carried out for the year 2013– 2014. A total of 126 CE points were available. SNDA has organized event of total 9 CE points. Members are encouraged to submit a summary report of other CE activities undertaken within the above period of accreditation, to be awarded CE points according to the CE scheme in order to renew their qualifications as Accredited Nutritionist of Singapore (ANS) or Accredited Dietitian of Singapore (ADS).
SNDA will continue to collaborate with other associations and institutions in proposing wide range of CE events to members. CE events are continuously posted on SNDA website (www.snda.org.sg), and most members register for the CE online. This online system enables the association to achieve the mission of lean management by decreasing the storage space.
- SNDA CONTINUING EDUCATION SPONSORSHIPSNDA support and promote members in the continual accrual of knowledge and skills to enhance professional competency. The allocated funds for sponsorship and continue education were set aside for partially sponsoring members to conferences/workshop and for SNDA to organize CE events.
A total of 6 conferences registration sponsorship were opened for application in 2013-2014. SNDA has granted 3 members for sponsorship to IUNS 20thInternational Congress of Nutrition: Joining Cultures Through Nutrition (Granada, Spain), 2013 SDA Conference: Performance Nutrition – Measurement, Manipulation, Application (Melbourne, Australia), Medical Nutrition Therapy for Patients with Diabetes Mellitus (TTSH, Singapore).
In return, the successful applicants are to share the scientific finding with SNDA members via one of the CE events.
- SNDA Interest GroupSNDA has successfully pilot run our first Interest Group project. This project was to gather the experts of related areas of interest among the nutritionists and dietitians to grow our profession together. We managed to form 3 interest groups: Metabolic Syndrome, Nutrition Support and Sport Nutrition. Each group was drive by a chairperson and a secretary together with the members of interest. Sport Nutrition Interest Group has successfully organized SNDA “Active Day” which comprised of a Zumba exercise session, lectures on sport nutrition and a hands-on cooking workshop last November 2014.
- SNDA WEBSITESNDA’s official website continue to serves as a resource for its professional members and answers commonly asked questions about the profession to the public.
The association had another success in lean management with the use of technological advancement to create auto-generated membership certification and accredited certification of Accredited Nutritionist of Singapore (ANS) or Accredited Dietitian of Singapore (ADS) from SNDA website. This new feature allows the association to minimize the use of paper and cutting down the processes time of sending out the hardcopy of certificates to members.
- COMMUNITY NUTRITION PROMOTION PROJECTSSNDA continues to be active in many community nutrition promotion projects in Singapore:
i) World Diabetes Day – 23rd Nov 2014
SNDA together with Temasek Polytechnic supported the Diabetes Society of Singapore in setting up a booth to promote healthy eating messages to the public with the theme of “Managing Diabetes Made Easy”. We had 3D supermarket tour and display of hidden sugar in local drink and snacks. SNDA also provided 2 speakers for the public forum.
- SNDA REPRESENTATIVES – EXTERNAL RELATIONSSNDA continues to be represented in the following committees, associations and meetings for the year 2013 – 2014 within the region and internationally:
• Asian Federation of Dietetic Association (AFDA) Honorary Treasurer
• Federations of Asian Nutrition Societies (FANS) President and Secretary
• International Confederation of Dietetic Association (ICDA)
• Ministry of Health’s Credential Evaluation Panel for Dietitians, Singapore
- PLANS AHEADThe following are plans for 2014 – 2015:
i) To increase full, student and corporate members’ participation,
ii) To increase and promote members’ participation of SNDA organized activities,
iii) To continue with the development of the Singapore Manual of Dietetics Practice with a new concept,
iv) To enhance the collaboration with the relevant professional associations in organizing nutrition-related conferences and workshops,
v) To continue to raise the profession’s profile and credibility through media projects,
vi) To continue to bring the profession to higher level and grooming future nutrition leaders in Singapore, the region and internationally, and
vii) To continue encourage lean management in every aspect in managing the association where possible.